The airport was opened by the British Colonial authorities.
On 10 November 1951, the airport was formally reopened after its facilities had been extended. Runway 12/30 was now 3,300 yards (3,000 m), in preparation for services by the de Havilland Comet.
The Old Entebbe airport is used by Uganda’s military forces. It was the scene of a hostage rescue operation by Israeli Sayeret Matkal, dubbed Operation Entebbe, in 1976 after an Arab-German hijacking of Air France Flight 139 following a stopover in Athens, Greece en route to Paris from Tel Aviv. The scene of that rescue was the old terminal, which has been demolished, except for its control tower and airport hall. According to a 2006 published report, plans were made to construct a domestic passenger terminal at the site of the old airport. The airport was partially destroyed in April 1979 when it was captured by Tanzanian forces during the Uganda–Tanzania War
Entebbe Int. Airport is the principal international airport of Uganda. It is near the town of Entebbe, on the shores of Lake Victoria, and approximately 40.5 kilometres (25 mi) by road south-west of the central business district of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda.It is the only international airport of Uganda